Links

Monday, August 26, 2013

Update: Three novels and a Masters

I started this blog several years ago when I began writing fiction fulltime (as opposed to being an academic, domestic violence researcher and a social worker fulltime), because that's what contemporary, hip and happening writers do - they blog. Prospective publishers will want you to have an on-line profile, I heard - an audience they can tap into. I joined Facebook and surfed the social media waves (I couldn't bring myself to tweet - that was a bridge too far). 

But, in the same way that it is a journey of discovery to find your voice when you write fiction, finding my voice when blogging has been harder. Or is that just me?  I struggle with who is my audience, which aspects of myself am I portraying, what will be my focus? 

When I created the blog in 2010 I wrote that I thought about interviewing Australian women writers, inspired by the Women Writers at Work: The Paris Review Interviews. I even bought the latest you beaut recorder. But my own writing took priority and it never happened (and now another writer has done something similar with female and male authors, establishing a subscription PDF 'magazine', and I love it!).

Consequently, my blog has languished this past two years while, happily, my fiction writing has progressed (three novels: an adult fiction novel, currently with an agent; a co-authored young adult (YA) fantasy novel, currently with a manuscript assessor; and a historical/legend YA work in progress, the writing component of a recently completed Masters of Creative Writing. 

I could delete the blog but hey, it's doing no harm. So, I shall post this update and maybe, just maybe, I shall return a little sooner next time. 

In the meantime, here are some sites I've found useful on my writing journey.

Best wishes, 

Shirley 


callmyagent.blogspot.com/    A Sydney, Australia literary agent decodes the world of publishing to assist writers.

http://reviewofaustralianfiction.com     Two stories every week from Australia's best authors.

http://www.litmags.com.au     Australian Literary Magazines.



No comments: