Links

Friday, October 15, 2010

Thanks

Thanks

Before I start blogging about writing, and maybe interviewing women writers at work - Paris Review style, and books, (and perhaps life, the universe and everything) I'm going to begin the first post on my blog with gratitude.

I can thank international blogger and author Philip Thiel (check out his blog), presenter at the  recent Melbourne Emerging Writers Festival (thanks to Director, Lisa Dempster) for this tentative step into the 21st century world of blogging. His anarchic invitation to get out there and write the internet was heady stuff for a relatively new writer just trying on the shoe for fit. My interaction with Philip led me to pitch a story to the festival organisers for their annual publication The Reader (click on 'Links') which they accepted (thanks editor, Aden Rolfe). The festival and The Reader are significant for emerging writers and best wishes to Lisa and co for their Sydney EWF next month.

Thanks to Ray Norman for demystifying blogs and Ian Norton for facilitating it, and their respective partners Pat and Sylvia for  their patience. And thanks to everyone - family, friends, fellow writers - for their encouragement and support of my efforts so far, to enter the literary arena, including Dr Gina Mercer, former editor of literary journal Island and Anica Boulanger-Mashberg editor of Island's online journal Islet (click on 'Links').

Particular thanks go to my mentor, author Robyn Friend and to my partner, Tony Webb for staying the distance!

Love and gratitude

Shirley

5 comments:

Paula said...

Hey Shirley you are always so nice! What is Phillip's blog address?

SC Patton said...

Thks Paula. His blog is at http://thiel.livejournal.com/

Sue said...

Hi Shirl.You rock!!

catriona said...

Hi Shirl. I loved your short story in Islet. Can't wait for your book! Catriona

Michael said...

I regret to say that this is my first entry into your blogspot and I admonish myself for not so doing since I knew of it a while ago. The concept is great and I look forward to its progression by such a well accomplished writer. Indeed I have known said writer for a number of years and have watched the change from foot in the water to jump straight in. Even better is that Shirley has honed the tools to make this site a very worthwhile read. Even I, as a mere male, will enjoy what goes on. I trust that there may be room in the not too distant future for an item about a mysterious manuscript that is presently being jointly compiled by two up-and-coming literary giants??
Good luck with future blogging.

Michael